Speeding up your website offers a wide range of benefits for your business – faster loading pages will:
- Increase pageviews
- Improve user experience
- Assist with your WordPress SEO
Why does your website need to load quickly
You have a matter of seconds to highlight your offering and your content and convince visitors to stay on your website, to engage and to convert.
A slow loading website means visitors will potentially click off your website before it even loads – meaning they will see/read nothing about you.
According to a StrangeLoop case study, a 1 second delay in page load time can lead to 7% loss in conversions, 11% fewer page views, and 16% decrease in customer satisfaction.
Add to that, Google and other search engines have already started penalising slower websites. How? They are pushing them down in the search results which means lower traffic for slow loading websites. If you want more traffic, subscribers, advocates and website generated revenue – then you need your WordPress website to load and load fast.
So, how do you make your site load faster?
There’s quite a few things you can do in order to speed up the load time of your web pages and they are all easy – aka no coding required.
- Install a WordPress caching plugin
- Optimise images
- Ensure your website is updated regularly
- Optimise the background processes
- Don’t upload video and/or audio files directly to your website
- Use a theme which is optimised for speed
- Use faster plugins
- Use a CDN (content delivery network)
- Use excerpts on archives and homepage
- Divide comments into pages
- Divide long posts into pages
And now it gets a little trickier aka you may need some technical assistance to implement the following:
- Reduce database calls and external HTTP requests
- Optimise your WordPress database
- Limit the post revisions
- Ensure you are using the latest PHP version
- Disable hotlinking and leeching of content
- Use lazy loading and a DNS level website firewall
- Fix any HTTPS/SSL security errors
If you need help to determine if your website is, in fact, loading slowly and then how to fix that just get in touch with the Digibrand team today.